Travel industry challenges & recommendations for 2022
Why is it so hard to travel right now?
If you’ve recently traveled you’ve probably either faced long security lines at the airport or the train station, less services available in your hotel or worse, a flight cancelation. But why is this happening when we knew travelers would come back on the road after the pandemic?
To help you understand what the travel industry is currently facing worldwide, we’ve summarized the key challenges we’re seeing, and what the consequences are for you - along with some tips to help us support you better.
The travel industry has been heavily impacted by the pandemic which is leading to the following:
- The global travel industry is suffering from a long-running staff shortage - this impacts all areas including, air travel, hotels, trains, car rentals, airports and customer services.
- The return to travel, including business travel, is moving much faster than what was anticipated.
So, how does this travel market impact you?
- A rise in cancelations whether air or rail, either due to staff shortages at travel companies, or to a volume of travelers, which airports cannot safely handle. This has led to reduced schedules – for example 1500 flights were canceled in the US only for the July 4th weekend and Air Canada is cancelling around 150 flights per day in July and August
- Longer waiting times on the phone when contacting a customer service by phone and when a travel agent is trying to contact another supplier.
- Longer queues at the airport or train stations security, immigration and check ins.
- Some potential luggage delays.
- Less amenities or services sometimes available in some hotels or flights.
- Increasing prices due to an increasing demand and decreasing inventory.
- In some countries suppliers’ staff are going on strikes due to the stretched resourcing.
What is Egencia doing about this?
The overall industry is aware and working together to urgently recruit more. Egencia is also fully aware and is currently hiring new travel consultants. However, recruiting and training new employees takes time.
What can you do?
1. Help us help you:
- If your departure is outside of 72 hours, please email customer service.
- When contacting customer service, remain on the line and please do not hang up. We will answer your call.
- For general inquiries, checking availability and pricing, please use the online booking tool or the mobile app instead.
- To avoid duplication, please do not send follow-up emails once your initial request has been sent.
2. Use the Egencia booking tool or mobile app to:
- Book your new trip
- Modify or cancel your business trip - here’s how to cancel your trip online
- Redeem airline credits (North America only)
- Review your booker profile and ensure it's up to date (name as per passport, telephone contact, frequent flyer cards etc.)
- Check Egencia Travel Advisor for updates on entry requirements, COVID test and mask requirements
3. Plan ahead
- Arrive at the airport 30-45 minutes ahead of the recommended check-in times.
- Use airlines’ online check-in before your departure whenever possible.
- (For US travelers) Invest in TSA Preü (Global Entry for international travelers) and Clear if possible.
- Avoid booking the last flight of the day in the event any irregular operation impacts your ability to arrive or return according to your schedule.
- Utilize carry-on luggage as much as possible.
4. Be patient
And remember that wherever you are in the world, there are many travelers who are facing the same challenges.