Travel information for when the UK exits the EU

Posted: 09 April 2019

If you’re looking for information about travelling to Europe from the UK after the UK leaves the EU, see Visit Europe after Brexit.

If you’re looking for information on visiting the UK from the EU after UK leaves the EU see Visiting the UK after Brexit.

These guidance articles contain important travel advice including advice on passport validity and customs.

We’ve set out some key information below:


If you’re planning on travelling from the UK to Europe after 12 April 2019, you might need to renew your passport earlier than planned. Before you travel to most European countries you should have at least 6 months left on your passport upon your date of arrival.

If you renewed a passport before it expired, up to 9 extra months may have been added to your new passport’s expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months that should be remaining for travel to most countries in Europe.

Travelling by plane

Even if the UK leaves with no deal, both the UK government and the European Commission have put plans in place to ensure that airlines will still be able to operate flights between the UK and the EU.

Make sure you check the terms and conditions of your ticket, have comprehensive travel insurance, and check with your airline if you have any questions.

Travelling in the UK and EU by car

If there is an EU exit deal and you hold a UK driving license, you’ll beable to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries without any additional documentation.

If there is no EU exit deal and you hold a UK driving license, you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your UK license to drive to the EU and EEA countries from 12 April 2019. Drivers holding EU or EEA licenses won’t need an IDP to drive to the UK.

Also, you’ll be required to obtain and carry a physical Green Card as a proof of insurance and coverage for driving in the EU. We recommend you contact your insurance provider for more details.

The IDP, which validates your UK driving licence abroad, can be obtained from the post office for a fee of £5.50 (online orders and electronic documents aren’t allowed). The type of permit you will need depends on the country where you intend to drive. 

Good to know

  • The UK government provides country and territory specific information on the travel advice pages to help you prepare for travel after the EU exit.
  • Make sure to check online with your airline or other travel operator for the latest travel information to avoid any possible delays.

Interested to learn more about Egencia? Get in touch with our team.