Not leaving on a jet plane: 10 ways to cope with business travel delays
1. Try to minimize disruption. According to Sabre’s flight and airport data, Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), LaGuardia Airport (LGA), Sao Paulo Congonhas International Airport (CGH), and London Heathrow International Airport (LHR) are some of the most heavily traveled airports by business travelers. They also tend to have more delays so you may want to fly into other airports if possible.
2. Avoid checking in online ahead of your flight if there is a chance for bad weather. Your Travel Management Company will not need to call the airline to uncheck you before re-booking—one less step toward getting you on another flight.
3. Check your flight status before you go to the airport on the Egencia app. You will also receive notifications through the app in case of delay.
4. Use the Egencia app to check-in to your flight on your way to or at the airport.Stuck at the airport? You should:
5. Be aware that the weather or any other natural events are out of anyone’s control and airlines are exempt from compensating passengers for food, transportation or lodging.
6. Avoid releasing your hotel room or rental car until you are certain of delay or cancellation; be aware of potential cancellation charges though.
7. Know what the airline is offering as far as ticket flexibility for changes, refunds, fees or penalty waivers. Most of this information is available on your flight card in the Egencia app.Minimize the time you spend in line changing travel plans:
8. Consider buying an airport lounge pass to gain access to airline representatives that may be able to help you more quickly than main terminal representatives. Some companies are now offering complimentary lounge access to frequent travelers so you may want to check your policy before your next trip.
9. Book a hotel close to the airport ASAP as rooms fill quickly. Take advantage of the mobile only deals offered for last minute bookings made on the Egencia app.
10. Click AssistMe® on the Egencia app to reach an Egencia travel consultant who can help you exchange or cancel your flight, hotel, or car. Clients in North America can cancel flights directly from the app. In the US, mobile flight exchanges are available when offered by the airlines.The bottom-line: be prepared in order to minimize delays as much as possible. If all else fails, try to keep your sense of humor. It will make the ordeal more tolerable and people will be more willing to help you.