Last updated: 4 November 2019
- What personal information do we collect and why?
- Who do we share your personal information with?
- International Data Transfers
- How do we protect your personal information?
- Data Retention
- Your Information Rights
- Cookies and other technology
- Changes to this notice and How to contact us
Your privacy is important to us. Please read this Privacy Statement to learn about how Egencia Meetings and Events (“we,” or “us”) collects, uses, and discloses personal information on the websites, mobile applications, and other online products and services that link to this Privacy Statement or when we otherwise interact with you (collectively, the “Services”). If any parts of our Services connect you with third party online services, including your organization, those services do not operate under this Privacy Statement. Please review the privacy statements posted on those other online areas to understand their procedures for collecting, using, and disclosing personal information. To manage its meetings and events needs, your organization has chosen to obtain services from the Egencia Meetings and Events Programme. Under this Programme, your organisation may designate a travel manager (“Travel Manager”) to manage and administer the needs of your organisation and may appoint one or more travel arrangers (“Arranger” or “Travel Director”) to book and manage the travel of individual employees (“Travellers”), as well as non-employees as deemed appropriate by the company (“Guests”). If you have any questions about the manner your organization, Travel Manager, Arranger, Travel Director, or other external websites or Apps handle your personal information or books or manages your participation in an Egencia Meeting or Event on your behalf, please contact the appropriate representative of your organization, refer to your organization’s or other external website or Apps privacy Statement.
Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors
While this Privacy Statement is primarily directed at Travellers and Guests, it also applies to Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors.
Any personal information that a Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director provides to us about himself or herself in connection with our Programme is managed as set out in this Privacy Statement. Egencia, however, reserves the right to contact Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors as contemplated by their organization’s Egencia Corporate Travel Services Agreement with us (e.g., for feedback on the Programme, to discuss the business relationship, or to discuss new or updated services). This contact may occur via phone, email, text message or post.
When booking and managing the Programme on behalf of any Traveller or Guest, Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors must obtain the relevant Traveler’s or Guest’s consent. Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors must also ensure that the relevant Traveller or Guest receives and reviews this Privacy Statement.
Whether you book directly from us or allow your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director to do so on your behalf, authorised individuals within your company may have access your travel itineraries and other information about you in the Programme, and may also direct that we share this information with third parties for record-keeping or other authorised purposes. Your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director will also be able to update your travel preferences in accordance with your instructions to them. Your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director will also be able to view, change or cancel any of your trip itineraries as necessary to fulfil your instructions or in accordance with the Programme.
Information that you provide directly to us
Egencia Meetings and Events hosts and/or coordinates many Events each year. Events may include in-person conferences and exhibitions, live web conferences, group and incentive travel, group transportation, and in-person or virtual meetings (“Events”). We receive and store any information you provide for the Events, such as to enable your booking, create or register for an Event with us, enable Travel Arranger service, provide the services and information you request such as the details of your Event, participate in a survey, ask us a question, or initiate other transactions on our site. This may include personal information such as your first and last name, telephone number, and email address, date of birth, and billing information (such as credit card number, cardholder name, and security code).
If you’re an employee of a corporate account, a vendor or other type of business partner, other information collected can include employer, employee identification number, or other relevant details.
If you are a presenter at one of our Events, we will collect information about you including your name, employer and contact information, and photograph, and we may also collect information provided by event attendees who evaluated your performance as a presenter. We may also make and store a recording of your voice and likeness in certain instances. Egencia Meetings and Events relies on a legitimate interest basis for collecting, storing, and processing this information.
We keep a record of your participation in Events as an attendee or presenter. This information may be used to help Egencia Meetings and Events understand our customers’ needs and interests to better tailor our Events to meet your needs.
Special Categories of Personal Information
Certain types of personal information, such as some government-issued identification numbers and information about religion or health, are considered sensitive and require additional protection under applicable laws. We limit the circumstances under which we may collect sensitive personal information; examples of this information may include:
- Health-related information to provide appropriate travel accommodation and accessibility or facility requirements.
- Other information that you can specify at your option and which may imply or suggest information like religion, health or other information, such as dietary needs.
Information that we collect automatically
We automatically collect information about you when you use the Services. This information includes:
- Log and Usage Information: We collect information related to your access to and use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, the Internet Service Provider, app version, access times, pages viewed, trips viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, device identifiers (including the advertising identifier assigned to your mobile device), and mobile network information.
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- Our group companies at times will share your personal information with our affiliated companies within the Expedia Group family, listed at expediagroup.com. To the extent that our parent company and corporate affiliates have access to your information, they will follow practices that are at least as restrictive as the practices described in this Privacy Statement. They will also comply with applicable laws governing the transmission of promotional communications and, at a minimum, give you an opportunity in any commercial email they send to choose not to receive such email messages in the future.
- Third party services providers who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of; provide functionality on; or help to enhance the security of our Events), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes such as credit card processing, business analytics, customer service, marketing, and fraud prevention. Where third-party service providers have access to data they will only collect information as needed to perform their functions. They are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- Event Sponsors. Some of our Events are sponsored. Egencia Meetings and Events provides an attendee list to sponsors, co-sponsors and exhibitors of our Events. Egencia Meetings and Events may allow sponsors, co-sponsors and/or exhibitors to send you material by mail once per sponsored event, in which case Egencia Meetings and Events engages a third-party mailing house and does not share your mailing address directly with the sponsor/exhibitor. If you do not wish to have your information included in an attendee list or to receive information from sponsors, co-sponsors and/or exhibitors, you can express your preferences when you register for events or you may contact Egencia Meetings and Events using the contact information in the How to Contact Us section below. Sharing your personal information with a sponsor allows you to receive the content for free. We do give attendees a choice not to receive marketing messages from the sponsor and/or from Egencia Meetings and Events.
- Business partners with whom we may jointly offer services, or whose services may be offered on our Online Services. You can tell when a third-party business partner is involved in a service you have requested because their name will appear, either alone or with ours. If you choose to access these optional services, we will on occasions share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners.
- Any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person. For example, under U.S. Law, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Bureau of Customs and Border Protection requires that certain travel and reservation information, known as Passenger Name Record or PNR data, relating to people travelling to or from the U.S.A, or through U.S. airspace, be provided to the Department prior to such travel. We may disclose this information to airlines or other travel providers so that they can forward it to the applicable law enforcement agencies and governments.
- When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of our company or others, our customers, or others; and in connection with our Terms of Service and other agreements.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy. In the case of any acquisition, we will inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Statement.
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective). Specifically, Egencia Meetings and Events stores and processes personal information in secure environments in the United States and other countries. In relation to the processing of non-U.S. personal data, in order to provide its services, Egencia must transfer your personal information to its affiliates and/or service providers for processing in the U.S. and potentially other countries outside of your country of residence.
We have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Statement when transferred. We ensure that any of our third party service providers to whom a data transfer is made has appropriate safeguards in place to protect your personal information.
The data controller of your personal information is Egencia LLC (“Egencia”). Egencia stores and processes your information in secure environments in the United States (“U.S.”) and other countries. To provide its services, Egencia must transfer your information to its affiliates and/or service providers for processing in the U.S. and potentially other countries outside of your country of residence. Please rest assured that we take appropriate steps to protect your privacy and security.
We want you to feel confident about using our Services for Events, and we are committed to taking appropriate steps designed to protect the information we collect. While no service can guarantee absolute security, we take reasonable steps to implement appropriate physical, technical, and organizational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you.
We retain the personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize the data or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
We will anonymize or aggregate your data if we intend to use it for analytical purposes or trend analysis over longer periods.
As a participant in the Events, you may receive communications from us providing you with additional information about the Events. You will also be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from such communications in any such email we send. Please note that we reserve the right to send you other communications, including service announcements, administrative messages, and surveys relating either to your Egencia account or to your transactions with Egencia Meetings and Events, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- You can access, add, update, or delete personal information as described below. If you make such a request, Egencia is entitled to request appropriate identification before servicing such a request.
- You may submit a written request to access the personal information that we hold on you. If you make such a request, Egencia is entitled to request appropriate identification before servicing such a request. You can make a written request for access to your personal data by contacting us via the contact information provided below in the “Contact Us” section.
Your data protection rights
Depending on your country of residence and applicable data protection law, you may have the following data protection rights:
- If you request access to your personal information we will confirm whether we hold your information and provide you with a copy, explaining how we process it and why, how long we store it for and your rights associated with it.
- If you request deletion of your personal information, we will erase, anonymize, or aggregate your personal information. Please do note that we will need to retain any information that we require to fulfil our legal obligations or to establish, exercise, or defend a legal claim.
- You can request to close your Egencia account by contacting us. Once you close an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any information associated with the account, but you can open a new account at any time. We will send you an e-mail confirming your account closure to the e-mail address contained in your member profile. Please do note that we will need to retain any information that we require to fulfil our legal obligations or to establish, exercise, or defend a legal claim.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
The easiest way to submit your request to us is through the “Contact Us” section at bottom of this Privacy Statement.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
This site may also use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website and to improve site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on our site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites with which the browser communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. Participants in the leading Internet standards-setting organisation that is addressing this issue are in the process of determining what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals. Egencia currently does not take action in response to these signals. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess how to respond to these signals.
Updates to this Privacy Statement
Changes to this Privacy Statement will be made when required in response to changing legal, technical, or business developments. When we update our Privacy Statement, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Statement changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Privacy Statement was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Statement.
How to contact us
If you have questions about either this Privacy Statement or our privacy practices generally, please contact us at:
Email: meetingseventsUS@egencia.com we will do our best to respond to your request within 24 hours.
Call: If you need more immediate assistance, please telephone us at + 1 877 800 1706
We want to make sure you have control over your Event experience, from planning and booking to protecting your personal information. Egencia customer service agents are ready to help with your concerns. In addition, you may directly contact the travel supplier at the phone number or address provided on your Event itinerary.