Updated February 8, 2017
At Egencia (“Egencia”, “we”, “us”, “our”), we understand that booking travel online involves significant trust on your part. We take this trust very seriously, and make it a priority to ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal information you or your organisation provides to us (such as your name, phone number, email address or payment details.)
This Privacy Statement sets out our information privacy practices as follows:
• Corporate Travel Programme – Overview
• What information we collect from you
• Use of your information
• Disclosure of information
• Your choices with respect to collection and use of your information
• Cookies and other technologies
• Using the Egencia mobile phone and tablet apps (the “Mobile Apps”)
• How we protect your information
• How you can access your information
• External links
• Where your data are stored
• Changes to this Privacy Statement
• How to contact us
When you book travel through Egencia, we have to make certain decisions about how and why to process your personal information in order to fulfil your travel booking. We are therefore responsible for protecting your personal information throughout the travel booking process.
This is what we explain in this Privacy Statement, which sets out Egencia’s policies concerning the management of personal information and describes the types of personal information Egencia holds, the purposes for which it holds that personal information and the ways in which Egencia collects, holds, uses and discloses that information.
Corporate Travel Programme – Overview
To manage its business travel needs, your organisation has enrolled in the Egencia Corporate Travel Programme. Under this Programme, your organisation may designate a travel manager (“Travel Manager”) to manage and administer the travel needs of your organisation and may appoint one or more travel arrangers (“Arranger” or “Travel Director”) to book and manage the travel of individual employees (“Travellers”), as well as non-employees, as deemed appropriate by the company (“Guests”).
Rules relating to bookings by Travellers
To book and manage their own travel, Travellers must register to become a member of Egencia or have profile data loaded into our system by the Egencia implementation team. In the event that Travellers do not register to become members of Egencia, they must rely on their Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director to make a booking on their behalf. If you are a Traveller, this Privacy Statement applies to how we collect and use your personal information, regardless of whether you are booking and managing travel yourself or through your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director. Accordingly, unless we expressly provide otherwise, when we refer to “you” in this Privacy Statement, we are referring to you as the Traveller, whether you are acting on behalf of yourself or through a Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director
Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors
While this Privacy Statement is primarily directed at Travellers and Guests, it also applies to Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors.
Any personal information that a Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director provides to us about himself or herself in connection with our Corporate Travel Programme is managed as set out in this Privacy Statement. Egencia, however, reserves the right to contact Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors as contemplated by their organisation’s Corporate Travel Agreement with us (e.g. for feedback on the Programme, to discuss the business relationship, or to discuss new or updated services). This contact may occur via phone, email, text message or post.
When booking and managing travel on behalf of any Traveller or Guest, Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors must obtain the relevant Traveller’s or Guest’s consent. Travel Managers, Arrangers and Travel Directors must also ensure that the relevant Traveller or Guest receives and reviews this Privacy Statement.
Whether you book travel directly from us or allow your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director to do so on your behalf, authorised individuals within your company may have access to your member ID and name of your member account, as well as your travel itineraries and all other information in your account, and may also direct that we share this information with third parties for record-keeping or other authorised purposes. Your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director will also be able to update your profile settings (excluding your member ID and password) and travel preferences in accordance with your instructions to them. Your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director will also be able to view, change or cancel any of your trip itineraries as necessary to fulfil your instructions or in accordance with your agreements with them.
Scope of Statement
This Privacy Statement sets out the information, collection and use practices of Egencia. The policies or practices of your organisation may differ, and we are not responsible for any use or disclosure of your personal information by anyone at your organisation or any acts or omissions of your organisation, Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director. If you have any questions about the manner your organisation, Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director handles your personal information or books, or manages travel on your behalf, please contact the appropriate representative of your organisation or refer to your organisation’s privacy statement.
What information we collect from you
Before you access the Egencia website, we require you to sign in as a member, using your member ID and password. Generally, Egencia collects and stores all information you provide to Egencia including, without limitation, all personal information about you that you specifically and voluntarily provide or give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you (“personal information”), including first name, surname, telephone number, email address and passport information and billing information (such as credit card number, cardholder name and expiry date). We also may request information about your travel preferences, including meal requests, seat selection, frequent flyer/hotel/car rental programme information and ticketing options. Your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director may provide us with additional personal information about you, such as your employer ID number.
Circumstances where Egencia collects personal information include, without limitation, when you:
• Become an Egencia member
• Complete a Traveller profile
• Book travel
• Use the Travel Arranger service
• Participate in a survey
• Contact us
Passenger information: Egencia collects the full name, contact number and other personal information necessary for the travel reservation, such as passport number and billing information, of a Traveller when a travel reservation is made through Egencia. We may also collect information about each Traveller’s preferences, including meal requests, seat selection, frequent flyer/hotel/car hire programmes and membership numbers, and ticketing options.
Travel guest information: When you make a reservation for someone else through this website, we may request personal information and travel preferences about that individual. You must obtain the consent of other individuals and ensure that such other individuals review this Privacy Statement prior to providing us with their personal information and travel preferences, as any access to view or change their information will only be available through your account. We will only collect, use and disclose that individual’s personal information for the purpose of making a reservation.
Automatic information: We automatically collect some information about your computer when you visit this website. For example, we will collect your IP address, web browser software (such as Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer) and referring website. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed and bookings made. Our goals in collecting this automatic information include helping to customise your user experience and detecting and preventing fraud. For more information, please see the “Cookies and other technologies” section.
Call monitoring: Calls to and from our customer services help desk may be recorded or monitored for the purpose of quality control and for staff training. Call recordings will be maintained as long as reasonably necessary or required by law and will then be deleted. Any personal information obtained from you during the call will be treated in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Failure to provide information: In order to access the Egencia website, you must sign in as a member, using your member ID and password. When making travel plans or a booking using this website, you must provide the requested contact and financial information. We will use your contact information to reserve the required services and to send you details of the confirmation for billing purposes, and to inform you of any updates or changes to your travel plans. If you do not provide the requested information, you will not be able to access the Egencia website, and we may not be able to complete your requests or orders.
Use of your information
Disclosure of your information
Egencia and its service providers may share your personal information with the following entities:
• Suppliers, such as hotels, airlines, rail companies, car rental companies or activity providers, who fulfil your travel reservations. Throughout this website, all services provided by a third-party supplier are described as such. These suppliers will process your data in accordance with their privacy policies. Therefore, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any travel supplier whose products you book through Egencia. Please note that these suppliers also may contact you as necessary to obtain additional information about you or to facilitate your travel reservation.
• Third-party vendors who may provide services or functions on our behalf, including without limitation, credit card processing, business analytics, customer services after hours, distribution of newsletters or survey emails, and fraud prevention. Upon direction by your employer, we may also share your personal information with third-party vendors providing such services as expense tracking and reimbursement. These companies have access to the personal information needed to perform these functions, but are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose. For more information on the manner in which our service providers treat your personal information, contact us as set out under “How to contact us” below.
• Others within your organisation, such as your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director, as described above in the “Travel Managers, Arrangers, and Travel Directors” section.
• Companies within our corporate family We may share certain information with our corporate affiliate, Expedia, for hosting, storage and reporting purposes. To the extent that a corporate affiliate has access to your information in order to provide services on our behalf, it will follow practices that are at least as restrictive as the practices described in this Privacy Statement.
We, and our service providers, may also share your information:
• When it has been explicitly requested by you.
• In response to a summonses, court orders or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law. In such cases, we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
• When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of Egencia, our customers or others; and in connection with our Terms of Service and other agreements.
• With law enforcement agencies and governments around the world for security, customs and immigration purposes. For example, under US Law, the US Department of Homeland Security Bureau of Customs and Border Protection requires that certain travel and reservation information, known as Passenger Name Record or PNR data, relating to people travelling to or from the USA, or through US airspace, be provided to the Department prior to such travel. We may disclose this information to airlines or other travel providers so that they can forward it to the applicable law enforcement agencies and governments.
• In connection with a proposed or completed corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, asset sale or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Your choices with respect to collection and use of your information
• You can access, add, update or delete information on the My Profile and My Trips pages, and close your account as described below.
• You may also submit a written request to access the personal data that we hold on you. If you make such a request, Egencia is entitled to request appropriate identification before servicing such a request. You can make a written request for access to your personal data by contacting us via the contact information provided below in the “How to contact us” section. We will endeavour to respond within an appropriate time frame and, in any event, within any timescales required by law.
As a participant in the Egencia Programme, you may receive communications from us providing you with travel news and updates. You can discontinue your subscription to such email newsletters at any time on the My Profile page under the heading “Email settings”, or by telling your Travel Manager, Arranger or Travel Director that you no longer wish to receive such communications from Egencia. You will also be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from such newsletters in any such email we send. Please note that we reserve the right to send you other communications, including service announcements, administrative messages and surveys relating either to your Egencia account or to your transactions with Egencia, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
Cookies and other technologies
This site may also use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, and to improve site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on our site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
Information collected by third parties/Display of tailored advertising
Do-not-track signals and similar mechanisms
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites with which the browser communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. The leading Internet standards-setting organisation which is addressing this issue has participants who are in the process of determining what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals. Egencia currently does not take action in response to these signals. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess how to respond to these signals.
Using the Egencia mobile phone and tablet apps (the “Mobile Apps”)
When you use an Egencia Mobile App, we collect and use information about you in the same way and for the same purposes as we do when you use our website.
In addition to this, we also use some other information that we collect automatically when you use our Mobile Apps. Specifically:
• We collect information about Mobile App functionality that you access and use. This allows us to identify those areas of the Mobile App that are of interest to our customers, so that we can refine and continuously improve the Mobile App.
• If you use a Mobile App’s “find hotels” feature using your “current location”, we use information about your current location – provided by your mobile device using GPS or similar technologies – to show nearby facilities. We do not collect location data unless you consent to this by expressly clicking the “find hotels” feature using “current location” as your destination, or you switch on location data collection through your phone settings menu. If you agree to share location information with us through your app or device settings, we may use and share this location information to offer you localised hotel or transport options, or to provide you with other relevant information or services.
• Each Mobile App will also send us error reporting information in the event that it crashes or hangs. This enables us to investigate the error and to improve the stability of the Mobile App for future releases. As part of these error reports, the Mobile App sends us information about the mobile device type and version, your customer ID, the time the error occurred, the feature being used and the state of the application when the error occurred. We do not use this information for any other purpose than investigating and remedying the error.
• We may send push notifications concerning changes in flight status or other items coming up during your trips. In addition, we may also use push notifications to issue key communications from your travel manager/employer in case of an emergency. These permissions can always be managed from your mobile device settings.
• If you select “Contact an Agent” and choose the “request a callback / request callback” option under Egencia AssistMe, where this feature is available, the Mobile App will send your customer ID, itinerary information and potentially other information about recent Mobile App usage to the travel consultant. This is done to expedite the customer service interaction and make for a smoother, more knowledgeable exchange.
You always have the ability to control certain information that a Mobile App sends to us. You can switch off location data collection at any time through your phone settings menu. Alternatively, you can remove the Mobile App from your mobile device entirely, and access our services through our website or by phone.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using our services to plan and book your travel, and we are committed to protecting the information that we collect. While no company can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical and physical security procedures to help to protect the personal information in our custody and control. For example, only authorised employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may only do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your sensitive personal information between your system and ours, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help to prevent unauthorised persons from gaining access to your information.
How you can access your information
You have access to your information in the following areas of this website:
The My Profile pages on Egencia allow members to view and change their account settings. The email settings option lets you change your email address and manage your travel newsletter and any other subscriptions. You can also change your password and elect to have an automatic password sign-in when logging on to this website. You can add new Travellers and delete existing Travellers from your member profile; update or correct names, phone numbers, passport information, emergency contacts for Travellers associated with your profile; and update your travel preferences.
Request to close an account
You can close your Egencia account by contacting us as described below. Once you have closed an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any information associated with the account, but you can open a new account at any time. We will send you an email confirming your account closure to the email address contained in your member profile.
The My Trips page on this website allows members to view, update or delete their saved itineraries. In the event that you notify Egencia that certain personal information about you is not accurate, complete or up to date, Egencia shall take reasonable steps to correct the personal information so that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
If any part of this website provides you with a link to other websites that we do not own or operate, those websites do not operate under this Privacy Statement. We recommend that you examine the privacy statements posted on those other websites to understand their procedures for collecting, using and disclosing personal information.
Where your data are stored
Egencia stores and processes Personal Data about Travellers in secure environments in the United States and Europe. In relation to the processing of non-US Traveller data, in order to provide its services, Egencia must transfer your Personal Data to its affiliates and/or service providers in the US.
In the case of Europe, Egencia legitimises the transfer of Personal Data to the US by way of inter-company EU model clauses. These “model clauses” are standard-form data transfer contracts whose content has been approved by the European Commission. When required by local data protection law, other measures are put in place by Egencia in order to ensure the legality of the international transfers of data to the US.
We will not retain your information for longer than is necessary for our business purposes or for legal requirements. However, please be advised that we may retain some information after you have closed your account with us, for instance, if this is necessary to meet our legal obligations, including retaining the information for tax and accounting purposes.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
Egencia may update this Privacy Statement in the future. We will notify you about material changes to this Privacy Statement by sending a notice to the email address that you provided to us or by placing a notice on our website. If you have any questions about our Privacy Statement, please email us via the contact information provided below.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about either this Privacy Statement or our privacy practices generally, please contact us at:
Email: customer service and feedback form. We will do our best to respond to your request within 24 hours.
Call: If you need more immediate assistance, please telephone us at 1300 130 318.
Write: Global Privacy Director, Expedia Legal & Corporate Affairs, Expedia, Inc., 333 108th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004, USA.
We want to make sure that you have control over your online travel experience as an Egencia customer, from planning and booking your travel to protecting your personal information. Egencia customer service travel agents are ready to help with your Egencia travel concerns 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You may also call the customer service number given to you upon company sign-up at any time In addition, you may directly contact the travel supplier on the phone number or at the address provided on your travel itinerary.